Social Action is searching for a highly skilled individual with strong communication abilities to join our motivated team as a Communications and Media Officer.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Start date: April 2017
Social Development Integrated Centre (Social Action) works to promote resource democracy, social justice and human rights in the sectors of energy, mining, the environment and climate change, trade and public budgets. We engage in research and monitoring, popular education and advocacy in solidarity with communities, activists and scholars working to promote social change in Nigeria and other countries in the Gulf of Guinea region of Africa.
The Communications and Media Officer will work with management and programmes staff to ensure efficient communication of Social Action’s activities and project outcomes. The successful candidate will work from our Abuja office under the supervision of the Head of Advocacy. S/he will support the implementation of the organisation’s Communications Plan by providing communications expertise to programme teams, and take the lead in the development of web content and online communications.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Interest and experience in using traditional and social media for public communications;
- Exceptional writing skills: ability to communicate complex information in a simple, lively and readable manner;
- Excellent interpersonal communication;
- Excellent computer skills, including some graphic designing skills;
- Sound knowledge of the development challenges of Nigeria;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, and to meet deadlines;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel as needed;
- University or other higher education
Duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with departments, programme teams in writing and editing press releases, advocacy reports, briefing papers, newsletters and speeches;
- Provide leadership to programme teams in developing, writing and designing publications to ensure that messaging is consistent with the values, goals and standards of Social Action, using the best content, visual standards and language;
- Manage the development of monthly electronic newsletter, annual reports, videos and presentations.
- Work with programme teams to manage websites, Facebook, Twitter accounts of the organisation and ensure that the organisation’s work, project output and views are communicated to the widest possible audience.
Based on skills and experience
How to Apply
If you are interested, please provide a cover letter along with your CV, explaining with concrete examples how your experience, qualifications, and skills match those required for this position. Include relevant examples of your written communication work to date. All application documents should be mailed to admin(at)saction.org stating the position in the subject line. Applications must be received by March 15, 2017.
Are you passionate about economic justice and fiscal accountability? Join our team and take a leading role in the work to promote transparency and accountability in the management of public resources.
Location: Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Start date: April 2017
Social Development Integrated Centre (Social Action) is a leading Nigerian human rights and development advocacy organisation working to promote resource democracy, social justice and human rights in the sectors of energy, mining, the environment and climate change, trade and public budgets. We engage in research and monitoring, popular education and advocacy in solidarity with communities, activists and scholars working to promote social change in Nigeria and other countries in the Gulf of Guinea region of Africa. Social Action has offices in Port Harcourt, Abuja, Warri and Bori.
Social Action’s Public Finance Accountability Programme involves building a collaborative platform to promote prudent use of public resources, combat corruption in the management of public finance in states and local government councils of Nigeria, and supporting community participation in budget development, analysis and monitoring.
Social Action is looking for a skilled and experienced individual to join our highly motivated team full time as a Programme Officer, to take a lead role in the implementation of our Public Finance Accountability Programme. Working from our head office in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, the successful candidate will work under the supervision of our Programmes Manager.
The Programme Officer will be involved in the coordination of the Niger Delta Citizens and Budget Platform and the implementation of our Strengthening Advocacy and Civic Engagement (SACE) project, which aims to create opportunities and build synergies for open, transparent and inclusive budget processes in the Niger Delta. The Programme Officer will ensure effective communication and coordination with network members and partners.
Duties and responsibilities
- Analyse budgets of states and local governments;
- Produce project progress reports;
- Support the implementation of projects to achieve stated objectives;
- Maintain proper communication with external partners;
- Participate in fundraising, including writing project proposals;
- Ensure that project output and results are appropriately and regularly packaged into briefings, newsletters, website postings and other media.
The ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate ability to function effectively in a collaborative environment;
- Have minimum of 3 years of experience working on public policy or media;
- Have tertiary education with a degree in related field(s). An advanced degree will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the political economy of energy, hydrocarbons exploitation and revenue management in Nigeria;
- Have good knowledge of the political economy of development in Africa;
- Have excellent writing and communications skills in English, including good analytical, quantitative skills and ability to understand and disseminate technical details of public budgets to general audiences and media;
- Experience in fundraising and managing budgets;
- Be highly motivated, well organised, and able to work quickly and well under pressure, both independently and as a member of a team.
To be negotiated on the basis of the experience of the candidate and available funding.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please submit your CV with references, and provide a covering letter explaining with concrete examples how your experience, qualifications, and skills match those required for this position. Include samples of your written work to date. All application documents should be mailed to admin(at)saction.org stating the position in the subject line. Applications must be received by March 15, 2017.