Location: Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Start date: July, 2019
Social Development Integrated Centre (Social Action) works to promote resource democracy, social justice and human rights in the sectors of energy, mining, the environment and climate change, trade and public budgets. We engage in research and monitoring, popular education and advocacy in solidarity with communities, activists and scholars working to promote social change in Nigeria and other countries in the Gulf of Guinea region of Africa.
The Communications and Media Officer will work with management and programs staff to ensure efficient communication of Social Action’s activities and project outcomes. The successful candidate will work from our Port Harcourt office under the supervision of the Head of Advocacy. S/he will support the implementation of the organization’s Communications Plan by providing communications expertise to program teams, and take the lead in the development of web content and online communications.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Interest and experience in using traditional and social media for public communications;
- Exceptional writing skills: ability to communicate complex information in a simple, lively and readable manner;
- Excellent interpersonal communication;
- Excellent computer skills, including some graphic designing skills;
- Good knowledge of the development challenges of Nigeria;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, and to meet deadlines;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel within short notice
- University or other higher education degree
Duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with departments, program teams in writing and editing press releases, advocacy briefs, briefing papers, newsletters and speeches;
- Provide assistance to program teams in developing, writing and designing publications to ensure that messaging is consistent with the values, goals and standards of Social Action, using the best content, visual standards and language;
- Manage the development of monthly electronic newsletter, annual reports, videos and presentations.
- Work with program teams to manage websites, Facebook, Twitter accounts of the organization and ensure that the organization’s work, project output and views are communicated to the widest possible audience.
Based on skills and experience
How to Apply
Interested applicants, should provide a cover letter and CV, explaining with concrete examples how your experience, qualifications, and skills match those required for this position. Include relevant examples of your written communication work to date. All application documents should be mailed to admin[at]saction.org and prince[at]saction.org stating the position in the subject line. Applications must be received on or before 10th July, 2019.
Youths, women and person’s living with disabilities are encouraged to apply