Social Action is searching for a highly skilled individual with strong communication abilities to join our motivated team as a Communications and Media Officer.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Start date: April 2017
Social Development Integrated Centre (Social Action) works to promote resource democracy, social justice and human rights in the sectors of energy, mining, the environment and climate change, trade and public budgets. We engage in research and monitoring, popular education and advocacy in solidarity with communities, activists and scholars working to promote social change in Nigeria and other countries in the Gulf of Guinea region of Africa.
The Communications and Media Officer will work with management and programmes staff to ensure efficient communication of Social Action’s activities and project outcomes. The successful candidate will work from our Abuja office under the supervision of the Head of Advocacy. S/he will support the implementation of the organisation’s Communications Plan by providing communications expertise to programme teams, and take the lead in the development of web content and online communications.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Interest and experience in using traditional and social media for public communications;
- Exceptional writing skills: ability to communicate complex information in a simple, lively and readable manner;
- Excellent interpersonal communication;
- Excellent computer skills, including some graphic designing skills;
- Sound knowledge of the development challenges of Nigeria;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, and to meet deadlines;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel as needed;
- University or other higher education
Duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with departments, programme teams in writing and editing press releases, advocacy reports, briefing papers, newsletters and speeches;
- Provide leadership to programme teams in developing, writing and designing publications to ensure that messaging is consistent with the values, goals and standards of Social Action, using the best content, visual standards and language;
- Manage the development of monthly electronic newsletter, annual reports, videos and presentations.
- Work with programme teams to manage websites, Facebook, Twitter accounts of the organisation and ensure that the organisation’s work, project output and views are communicated to the widest possible audience.
Based on skills and experience
How to Apply
If you are interested, please provide a cover letter along with your CV, explaining with concrete examples how your experience, qualifications, and skills match those required for this position. Include relevant examples of your written communication work to date. All application documents should be mailed to admin(at)saction.org stating the position in the subject line. Applications must be received by March 15, 2017.
- News2022.03.24FUEL FOR THOUGHT: THE TRAGIC CYCLE OF NON-PERFORMING REFINERIES, FUEL SCARCITY, AND ENDLESS CORRUPTION
- News2022.03.09“THE LEVEL OF CANCER IS TOO MUCH”: COMMUNITY REPORT OF OGONI POLLUTION CLEANUP AND REMEDIATION
- anticorruption2022.03.03GRANT LOCAL GOVERNMENTS POLITICAL AND FINANCIAL AUTONOMY; ACTIVISTS URGE NASS
- anticorruption2022.03.02COMMUNIQUE OF THE REGIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY CONFERENCE 2022: BEYOND THE FORENSIC AUDIT – REPOSITIONING THE NDDC