Are you passionate about economic justice and fiscal accountability? Join our team and take a leading role in the work to promote transparency and accountability in the management of public resources.
Location: Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Start date: April 2017
Social Development Integrated Centre (Social Action) is a leading Nigerian human rights and development advocacy organisation working to promote resource democracy, social justice and human rights in the sectors of energy, mining, the environment and climate change, trade and public budgets. We engage in research and monitoring, popular education and advocacy in solidarity with communities, activists and scholars working to promote social change in Nigeria and other countries in the Gulf of Guinea region of Africa. Social Action has offices in Port Harcourt, Abuja, Warri and Bori.
Social Action’s Public Finance Accountability Programme involves building a collaborative platform to promote prudent use of public resources, combat corruption in the management of public finance in states and local government councils of Nigeria, and supporting community participation in budget development, analysis and monitoring.
Social Action is looking for a skilled and experienced individual to join our highly motivated team full time as a Programme Officer, to take a lead role in the implementation of our Public Finance Accountability Programme. Working from our head office in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, the successful candidate will work under the supervision of our Programmes Manager.
The Programme Officer will be involved in the coordination of the Niger Delta Citizens and Budget Platform and the implementation of our Strengthening Advocacy and Civic Engagement (SACE) project, which aims to create opportunities and build synergies for open, transparent and inclusive budget processes in the Niger Delta. The Programme Officer will ensure effective communication and coordination with network members and partners.
Duties and responsibilities
- Analyse budgets of states and local governments;
- Produce project progress reports;
- Support the implementation of projects to achieve stated objectives;
- Maintain proper communication with external partners;
- Participate in fundraising, including writing project proposals;
- Ensure that project output and results are appropriately and regularly packaged into briefings, newsletters, website postings and other media.
The ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate ability to function effectively in a collaborative environment;
- Have minimum of 3 years of experience working on public policy or media;
- Have tertiary education with a degree in related field(s). An advanced degree will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the political economy of energy, hydrocarbons exploitation and revenue management in Nigeria;
- Have good knowledge of the political economy of development in Africa;
- Have excellent writing and communications skills in English, including good analytical, quantitative skills and ability to understand and disseminate technical details of public budgets to general audiences and media;
- Experience in fundraising and managing budgets;
- Be highly motivated, well organised, and able to work quickly and well under pressure, both independently and as a member of a team.
To be negotiated on the basis of the experience of the candidate and available funding.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please submit your CV with references, and provide a covering letter explaining with concrete examples how your experience, qualifications, and skills match those required for this position. Include samples of your written work to date. All application documents should be mailed to admin(at)saction.org stating the position in the subject line. Applications must be received by March 15, 2017.
- Climate Justice2022.12.10THE NIGERIA SOCIAL ACTION CONFERENCE 2022 – CLIMATE ACTION: ADDRESSING LOSS AND DAMAGE FROM FLOOD AND DRAUGHT IN NIGERIA
- Nigeria Social Action Camp 2022, held at the Man' War Leadership Training Centre, Aluu, Port HarcourtNews2022.12.06RECLAIMING THE CIVIC SPACE FOR TRANSFORMATIVE GOVERNANCE AND POLITICAL CHANGE IN NIGERIA
- Uncategorized2022.12.03PLANET GRAB: CONVERGING, COMPOUNDED COLONIALISMS OF CONSERVATION, CARBON MARKETS AND EXTRACTIVISM.
- The Director and Staff of the National Oil Spill Detection and Restoration Agency (NOSDRA) pay host to Social Action team lead by Dr Uche IgwuNews2022.12.02NOSDRA COMMITS TO COLLABORATING WITH SOCIAL ACTION IN ADDRESSING ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION IN THE NIGER DELTA